Czech Public Health Care

VZP for EU Citizens, Employees and Permanent Residents

The height of Public Health Care contributions is not age-independent, but instead depends on income.

For working persons the monthly health care contribution is a fixed percentage of the income (with a minimum of 1.748 CZK / month).

Therefore, for employees and people on a tradelicense, the Public Health Care contribution can be 1000's of CZK / month. A company is withholding health- and social charges automatically from the employee's salary, but a self-employed trade license holder has to make the monthly payments by himself.

Selecting the right way to be registered in Public Health Care can be very complex, unlike taking out a commercial Health Insurance, especially when you have a mixed EU / non EU family, or have been registered in another EU country before.

When registering an adult into Public Health Care, we usually can enroll the children as well (even if they are non-EU) under the same insurance. Also spouses may be able to get Public Health Care - this is so complex that we have to look at each individual case what is possible.

Common Issues:

EU Citizens
  • unlike the wrong / incomplete information on the website, not only EU-Citizens with a permanent residence permit, but also EU Citizens with a TEMPORARY residence permit can be enrolled in to Public Health Care (as long as they are employed or self-employed),
  • Commercial 'Emergency Health Insurance' or 'Complex Care Health Insurance' is not meant for EU Citizens, unless is it to bridge the period until they get the (temporary) residence permit, or have no gainful activity,
  • Non-compliance, as EU-citizen you have to be insured always, if you do not have a valid insurance in CZ, you risk having to pay upon return to your home country for the missing years,
  • Paying Public Health Care in the wrong country; an EU-Citizen resident must pay into the czech Public Health Care, if he is employed / self-employed in CZ.
3rd Country Nationals
  • If you were registered before as employee in an EU country, we still may register you.
  • In case you are registered as employee of a czech company or as director of a czech sro, taking out a salary, you will be automatically in Public Health Care.
  • If you are citizen of Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Israel, Turkey or Japan and have a trade license (working as independent contractor / freelancer), you are entitlded to enroll into the Public Health Care system(!)
  • If you have a czech permanent residence permit you must be in Public Health Care,
  • In case of a temporary EU residence permit you are usually not eligable, unless you are employee or director in CZ, or have a trade license (see next point),
  • If your trade license is the only source of income in the household, and your spouse is EU and not providing income, you may be entitled to Public Health Care.

Registration Service

We charge 2500 CZK per adult (dependent children for free) for registering into the VZP Public Health Care system. Our fee includes: a first consultation on your specific situation, the actual registration process (you do not need to go anywhere, we'll represent you), a second consultation in which we explain how to pay to which account, and handover of the proof of insurance. The monthly Public Health Care contributions you will pay directly to the VZP.

VZP is the largest organisation, with very good support throughout Czech Republic. We like the VZP, because our experience with them in dealing with questions and international issues is very good, and alternatives are not any cheaper or better. However, if you wish to register somewhere else (at OZP, for example) just indicate this, because by default we register at VZP.

The registration will take at least a couple of days. It is not immediate, as commercial Health Insurance (especially when you will need to be de-registered from another EU country). You will get a temporary insurance proof (an A4 paper) that you should carry with you. After 3 months the purple plastic EHIC card will be ready, and it gets sent to your home address.

Alternative: Registering as self-employed on a czech Trade License

If you plan to work as independent contractor / self employed, it is not enough to just register at the Public Health Care. Instead you will have to register a so-called Trade License, and at the tax office, at the social security and the Public Health Care. This is quite complicated (nearly impossible) for a foreigner, but we offer a package with all 4 registrations, including 2 hours of business / accounting / visa consultation. Benefit is that we'll do everything for you (you do not need to go to any authority) and we'll provide you with solid advice on all aspects of being a self-employed person / freelancer in Czech Republic. For an in-depth explanation of our service go our main website